Thursday, February 28, 2008

SIDS, toxic gases, and mattress wrapping

Apologies to those people who read this already, but I think I should post it here too.

--------------------

http://www.stopsidsnow.com/SuccessOfMattressWrapping.html

This is a very interesting site on crib death prevention, with research and results from New Zealand.The theory goes that it's fungus combined with chemicals in the mattress that form toxic gases. The gases are heavier than air, and eventually fall to the floor. (A baby on her back is less susceptible because her nose is above the level of the gases.) A hot room (or a baby with a fever) also increases toxic gas production.

The solution might be as easy as wrapping the baby's mattress in special plastic. This website might be a little biased, as it's selling plastic covers, but they say any polythene plastic of suitable thickness will work, as long as you follow their instructions.

I'm still doing research, but it seems to be working in New Zealand. They have been campaigning for mattress wrapping since 1995, and the rates of crib death are falling substantially. While 800 babies have died of SIDS between 1995 and 2005, none of those were on a specially wrapped mattress.

Why have I never heard this before? It seems to be controversial -- the author is suggesting that no one wants to admit that (government mandated) fire-retardant chemicals in mattresses might be the cause of SIDS deaths for fear of lawsuits. The conspiracy continues.... ;)

Thought you would be interested.

0 comment(s):

......................................   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP