Sunday, December 6, 2009

Anya's 5th Birthday. Or, why I like to torture myself.

We had Anya's birthday party today. We invited 6 kids, plus our 3 for a total of 9 children. For 3 hours. All the parents who called to RSVP said I was brave. It got VERY LOUD HERE FOR A WHILE.

Chantelle came over early and helped out, which was really great. The first thing we did was make pizzas for lunch. These are the adult pizzas, looking a little unfinished. I was excited, and forgot to wait for the cheese before snapping a photo. The kids' pizzas had a lot fewer toppings.

Next we played "Pin the Nose on Rudolph" thanks to DH's awesome creativity. The kids loved it.
I stayed up late last night making a princess cake and cupcakes, and added icing and smarties this morning. Mmm. Princess smartie cake. I was running late, and was adding smarties half an hour before the kids were to arrive, so I didn't fool around with a face. I added a tiara and a necklace, and then stopped, because it looked fine to me. The icing impression (doesn't show well in the photo) looks a little like an abstract face. Anya asked if the necklace was her smile. Um... okay. Whatever works. :)

I was thinking about adding two smarties at chest height for hands, but then decided that might be misunderstood. I also wanted to add more pink smarties to the dress (it's pink icing, the colour doesn't show well either) but out of four boxes, there were only nine pink ones. Hmph. Next time I'm going to Bulk Barn and picking out just pink. It wouldn't be the first time. :)
Cupcakes were also made.
And did I mention the gingerbread city? Graham crackers and a recipe for "icing cement" make great mini-gingerbread houses.
Most of the candy did not end up on the houses, for some reason.
The kids did a great job decorating.
We played "musical socks" and "hide the sock." (I happened to have some handy.) Presents were opened, cake was eaten, and then everybody was forced outside to enjoy the fresh air. And jump on a bouncy thing. (Thanks, Auntie Jennifer!)
Much fun was had. Can you see the sugar? I think Dhara's pupils were bigger than her head.

Pile on!

Shortly after this was a couple of big crying fits, and then naptime.

Anya insisted she was not tired.
I think that balloon says "Happy 30th Birthday." That's the last time we buy dollar store balloons. :)

Fun was had by all, and I had a great phone call from one of the moms later, who said that her daughter was complaining about having to go to "another gymnastics party" and why couldn't that other girl hold her party at home like Anya did where they could play fun games and eat real food? Heh. And here I was feeling all self-conscious about failing the unspoken "trendy" birthday party competition. Awesome.

4 comment(s):

Anonymous

Happy Birthday to Anya! And congrats on what sounded like a fanstastic kid party. You're so organized!

Hussicots

Hmmm... I think I will steal the pin the nose on rudolph idea. Great job on this wicked party! I'm getting psyched for Hayden's first friends-not-family party tomorrow.. wish me luck! I'm about to post pictures of MY not-quite-the-traditional-smartie-cake-but-they're-still-involved-or-else-it-just-isn't-a-birthday-cake cake.

love
Jennifer

PS those houses look awesome. And Jake and I had a big laugh at the Dhara picture :)

Hussicots

BAD AUNTIE BAD AUNTIE

Happy belated birthday, Anya.. I'm sooo sorry it's late!

Tina Moniz

Hhehehe...I had a good laugh...this post was great! And you're obv a great party organizer......I've got one coming up...you wanna take over? :D (Insert evil grin here.....)

......................................   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP